Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Mouthsores? Anyone? Anyone?

I am curious to know how your disease first revealed itself. Mine was in the form of mouthsores. For almost ten years now, I would get this breakout in my mouth. It is not the kind of thing you talk to other people about, if you know what I mean (Okay, much of what is related to this disease is not dinner conversation).

It starts in my throat. I feel sort of like I am getting a sore throat, but, there is an odd taste in my mouth. And then it spreads until my entire mouth is affected. My tongue hurts. My gums feel like they are peeling off of my teeth.

The dentist? Oh yes, I went to the dentist, and to my doctor, and to my dentist, and to my doctor. Finally my doctor suggested gargling with a Tetracycline/Benadryl solution and swallowing - twice a day - for ten days. This would make it go away and I would be able to eat. He even wrote me prescriptions so that when it happened, I would already have the meds on hand.

Often? Well no, it didn't really happen all that often, but maybe once or twice a year. I could always relate it to something stressful in my life. Moving, Changing job, Huge project due, etc.

No, nobody ever said it could be Crohn's.

No comments: